Subscribe to RSS Feed

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Fibre Love: Stash Building and One Block Wonder / Kaleidoscope Quilt Pick


My name is Janet.
And I am a fabri-holic.

Well, aren't we all? I like fabric, and I especially like stash building. I have been actively stash building over the last year and as my fabric collection has grown, so has my "eye"; that indefinable sense of colour and design that is the wind under our quilterly wings.

Today we went on a little weekend jaunt which included a nice, leisurely visit to Fourth Corner Quilts in Bellingham, WA. I have been planning my first landscape quilt, and that project requires a wide range of solids, mixers and low pattern batiks, all fabric categories I have never really collected before.

I was overjoyed to find this wonderful fabric, by Marcia Derse for Troy Corporation, from her "Line 5" collection.

Line 5 Collection, Marcia Derse

This fabric is a wonderful, offbeat mixer, a fabulous backing fabric, and will work well in my arbutus tree themed landscape quilt.

Intruiged by this designer I had never heard of before, I looked up the line. Wow.

This is one fabulous line. Any one of these prints would make a great stash addition, particularly for art quilters and landscape quilters: I would strongly advocate putting away a yard or two of each print. They look like great, timeless, "go to" fabrics. I will definitely keep an eye on Marcia's blog; can't wait to see what she comes up with next!

Always on the hunt for prints that work well in One Block Wonder (or Kaleidoscope) quilts, I found this luscious print:

French Journal in Anjou, Michael Miller Fabrics

I ran my OBW mirror over it and was delighted! This one has all the features of a great OBW fabric...large, discrete areas of colour. The white background makes for a really clean design as well, and will keep the beautiful, strong colours and shapes separate and defined. I was particularly taken with the rich russet reds of the wild roses against the buttery golds and clear, wintry blues.

This fabric would also be gorgeous as a backing, or simply stretched over a large canvas and hung on the wall as a piece of fabric art.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Cami said...

hi!!
found your link on stitchers guild. liked your HST tut, thx for posting.
may i ask what program you used to print your patterns?

really enjoyed reading your (re) entry into quilting. sounds very familiar to my own.

thanks!!
chloeE

WesternWilson said...

Thanks Chloe! I use the Triangulations CD put out by BearPaw Productions; it has HST papers for every size you will ever need and I have begged Brenda to make one for half rectangles as well! I am a huge, huge fan of HST sheets. Makes them accurate AND fast, which is really essential on projects which use lots of HST's.

Post a Comment